Sunday, May 25, 2008

In Defense of Investigation pt 1

I think some of the reason I'm hesitant to show my single media work is that I feel oddly torn between not wanting to claim to be a "professional" in a medium I haven't really trained in and not wanting to let that not knowing stop me from doing anything. Maybe there can be boldness in failure? Can I be someone who is aware of real skill in certain media, skill that I may not have, may never have ... can I let that knowledge stop me from doing it? Should I? Can I dedicate my life to something I might never be best at? Is that a worthy way to make decisions? If we all had to be the best at what we did to do it, who could do anything at all? Like who knows without trying where their skills and interests are? So maybe it is only through this process of trying on different hats that anyone ever gets to "find themselves" in art or anywhere else. Mythology demands that we do it privately. It only wants us fully formed and unmuddied. But life is complex and uncertain. So I'm with life on this one.

No comments: